Video Questions: Week#1
Directions: View the following short videos and answer the associated questions. Attach this document with your answers to the journal site. Total Point value: 12 points. Please highlight your answers in another color.
Video #1: Questioning techniques in science
- Can we ever prove a hypothesis to be true? Why or why not?
Yes we can see if the bird can lift the coconut
- Why did the soldiers in the castle doubt where the coconuts came from?
Because they are tropical and they are not native to the land
Video #2: She’s a Witch!
- Based on their assumptions in their reasoning, would you vote that she is a witch? Why or why not ?
Yes because the characteristics are of any normal human
- What was wrong with their reasoning and their experimental design?
They gave the which any characteristic of any human being
Video #3: 17th Century Abiogenesis Theory
- What was the prevalent belief in the 1600s with regard to life coming from nonlife?
That living organisms came into being rapidly and spontaneously over a period of just a few weeks
- What was wrong with the experimental design in the first experiment with wheat and dirty underwear?
There were no constant surveillance to the jar and any rat can just come to it
- How did Redi set up a good experimental design?
He covered the meat with some cloth to prevent the flies from putting their eggs
- What was the purpose of each jar?
To make a comparison that the only difference is exposer
Video #4: Germ Theory of Disease
- What is childbed fever?
An infection of the uterus
- What was Semmelweis’s hypothesis as to why more women were dying of childbed fever under the doctor’s care rather than the midwives?
Not cleaning their hands after autopsy
- Why were Semmelweis’s ideas not accepted in 1846?
No one made the connections between infections and bacteria
- Why was Pasteur so concerned with finding out about disease transmission?
Because he lost three children to the tifod fever
- What industry was he working for?
Bear and wine
- Pasteur’s experiment led to what theory?
That germs cause diseases
"Is this question part of your assignment? We Can Help!"