We have been looking at the opportunities and avenues for PR practitioners to disseminate their messages to the mass media – practices that utilize social media in addition to traditional media platforms. And soon you will be developing a News Release that needs to be written with a news angle – but in a PR style on behalf of the client.
During our classes – and as seen in the readings and Study Guide – we have also discussed the importance of developing the PR message so that it “looks, smells, taste like news” – and not appear to be what may be considered as “fake news” or an ad by the gatekeeper and the audience.
Specifically, we have looked at the expectations and the standards set forth by a gatekeeper, the importance of maintaining a journalistic tone and style, and:
1. categorizing the message/story/release, etc. as either hard or soft news,
2. determining and selecting its newsworthiness (PPT or CCH),
3. developing a manageable and focused topic via a focus sentence/statement,
4. incorporating appropriate/legitimate sources/references for credibility,
Select an example of – a VNR or an ANR. (Do not select an ad.)
Provide your numbered and ordered responses to numbers 1-7 as provided here
1. INFORM ME OF & DESCRIBE your fake news VNR selection.
BRIEFLY note the product, service, company, length, etc. (Assume that I have not viewed it). Who was responsible for what you believe is this “fake news” item. Company? Government agency? Other?
Indicate the URL.
Indicate the VNR’s title
2. INDICATE & EXPLAIN IF IT’S HARD OR SOFT NEWS
Address the journalistic tone/style – or lack of – in your selection that addresses how the author develops/plays your selection to make it appear to be either a Hard or Soft news story.
3. WRITE A FOCUS SENTENCE FOR YOUR SELECTION. Keep in mind the expectations of a well written focus sentence/statement.
4. INDICATE WHAT SOURCES were used in your selected VNR. (A person? An expert? A company? Testimonials? Etc.). Where they Authentic? Legit or not?
5. DESCRIBE/EXPLAIN ONE “STANDOUT” ASPECT ABOUT your selection that you felt was blatant “fake news”
6. INDICATE & EXPLAIN THE ONE MOST SIGNIFICANT PPT or CCH NEWSWORTHINESS ANGLE (Other than timeliness)